Friday 12 September 2014

Tin Can Bay to Caboolture - August 2014

We spent a bit of time in Gympie before driving to Pomona Showgrounds with the intention of basing ourselves here for a couple of days and doing day trips into Noosa and Sunshine Coast. There appeared to be plenty of flat spots but the caretaker was a bit picky about where we could park and the few spots he picked out for us, there was no way we were going to get level, so after an hour of mucking about here we decided to give it a miss and keep going to the next spot. There was a free camp about 10km down the road so we decided not to hook the car back up and drive separately. This turned out to be a bit of a mistake! I will be the first to admit that I have a terrible sense of direction. Usually when we drive separately I just stay behind Brad and follow him, but because I was the one looking at wikicamps I went ahead and left a bit earlier to suss out the first one and if it was no good there was another one further along. But I of course turned off the highway a bit early and by the time I got back on the highway I would have been behind Brad. Brad knew where the first one was supposed to be but there were roadworks and he couldn't find it and ended up back on the highway heading to Brisbane. I also couldn't find the free camp but somehow I ended up back on the highway heading back towards Gympie! Brad didn't know about the 2nd free camp I had in mind so he just kept driving. I finally managed to turn around and we eventually made contact and met up at fuel stop. We decided to just keep driving to Caboolture Showgrounds, the kids were very quick to switch vehicles at this point having learnt very quickly that Dad knows what he's doing and Mum doesn't!! We finally made it and paid for a week on a nice level spot with heaps of room. Once we pulled in we quickly decided a drink was needed and I made a quick dash to the bottle-o and I managed to not get lost!

Much more relaxed after a few drinks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No wonder you couldn't get out of bed to talk to me!!!!